I must confess: I am a book hoarder and I love the smell of book shops…yup, I’m a bit weird.
My bookshelves at home are populated with many a self-help or stagey tome but here a a few of my theatre related favourites…
- True and False: Heresy and Common Sense for the Actor by David Mamet.
- An opinionated, full-throttle rant that I would highly recommend to anyone who is struggling to deal with a difficult director or auditions… Mamet basically says “forget the B.S. and do the WORK”.
- Musical Theatre Auditions and Casting: A Performer’s Guide viewed from both sides of the audition table by Neil Rutherford.
- A very useful, ‘does what it says on the tin’ kind of manual for MT performers written in an amusing, easy to read style.
- Acting: Cut the Crap, Cue the Truth: Living the Life and Doing the Job by Natalie Burt.
- This is a brilliant read for anyone who is about to graduate from Drama school or feeling a little lost after being chucked out into the real world. Natalie reinvigorated by love for a boogie around my bedroom to ‘Sunchyme’ by Dario G and the song has a permanent place on my ‘motivational music’ playlist… how many authors can site that as one of their achievements?!
- The Intent to Live: Achieving Your True Potential as an Actor by Larry Moss.
- I found myself saying ‘YES’ out loud a lot when reading this book. The kind of read that makes you want to work…well makes you want to live, actually.
- Actions: The Actor’s Thesaurus by Marina Calderone & Maggie Lloyd-Williams.
- Legendary. For good reason.
What are your theatre book recommendations? Let me know in the comments.actoractor's lifeactressadvicebooksmusical theatreperformerTheatre